If you’re lucky enough to be sporting a brand new set of braces this Halloween, congratulations! You’re one step closer to achieving the perfect smile! But while you may be feeling excited about your new look, you might be wondering what kind of candy you can enjoy without damaging your braces, and if you’re anything like me, you love celebrating the spooky holiday with candy.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of the best and worst Halloween candies for people with braces. So we’ve got you covered whether you’re headed out trick-or-treating or just looking for something to snack on while you watch Hocus Pocus 2.
1. Caramel: We know, we know. Caramel is delicious. But it’s also sticky and chewy, two things that are definitely not braces-friendly. Now, if you are wearing aligners, then you’re in luck! Enjoy those Milk Duds to your heart’s content!
2. Gummies: Another tempting treat that’s best avoided if you’ve got braces are gummies. They are notoriously sticky and can cause all sorts of problems for your teeth. Again, if you’ve got aligners – enjoy! Just make sure you’re really scrubbing between your teeth because that stickiness can really get… well… stuck.
3. Hard candy: From jawbreakers to lollipops and hard candy shells, anything that’s hard is a no-go for people with braces. Not only can it damage your brackets and wires, but it can also cause serious tooth enamel damage. And here’s the sad reality… even if you’re wearing aligners, this isn’t a great idea for you either. You can actually knock off your “buttons” aka those little nubs you need to keep your trays in your mouth. You’re better safe than sorry on this one.
4. Licorice: We know, licorice is delicious. But it’s also really chewy, which means it’s not the best choice for people with braces. Aligner folks, you’re in luck – you’re back in!
5. Candy with Nuts: While nuts are technically a healthy snack, they’re also really hard and can do some severe damage to braces. Pay attention to what’s inside that candy bar to avoid an unnecessary trip back to the office.
6. Candy Corn: Candy corn may be festive, but it’s not braces-friendly. The hard candy can damage your brackets, and the sticky consistency can make it difficult to remove from your teeth.
1. Soft chocolate: Think Hershey’s, 3 Musketeers, or Kit Kats. If you’re going to indulge in some Halloween candy, chocolate is always a safe bet. Just be sure to stick to the soft, melt-in-your-mouth kind rather than anything too chewy or hard, and avoid anything with nuts.
2. Peanut butter cups: Another classic Halloween candy that’s braces-friendly is peanut butter cups. They’re a delicious way to get your sweet fix. (Oh, and they have protein… bonus!)
3. Cookies: They’re a great option for those with braces because they’re soft and not sticky. Plus, they come in a variety of flavors so you can find one that you love. (again, beware of nuts…)
4. Pudding or Jello cups: These soft quick snacks are braces-friendly and can be a great alternative for those who especially like gummy treats.
5. Crackers: Cheez-Itz or Goldfish are a delicious snack and are less likely to get stuck in your braces. They are a smart option for those with braces this Halloween.
Now that you know which types of treats are best for braces, you can enjoy a fun and safe Halloween! Just be sure to brush and floss thoroughly after eating.
Be sure to check out our other blogs for tips and tricks to keep your braces and your teeth healthy. And if you’re located near the Chantilly, VA area, plan a visit with Orthodontics by Crutchfield for your own straight smile.