Here’s a fun fact – babies can imitate smiles as early as the first 36 hours of life. Crazy, right?! Another amazing thing science has discovered is that babies don’t just smile out of reflex, they smile because they want to and because they’re responding to stimuli from their parents from the very beginning! (more here!)
What does this tell us? Smiles are something that is very natural and they matter! So, why then do we put off brushing and flossing?
When you get your braces, dental hygiene becomes even more important. You have to be sure that the teeth under the braces are clean otherwise you can develop cavities on the front, visible side of your teeth! Think of all that effort to get them straight and then you have to get the fronts fixed! Eeek!
Here’s the thing – braces won’t cause cavities, decalcification or gum disease, but not cleaning food particles out from under them could. The good news is that brushing and rinsing often will help eliminate the risk.
Our Famous Brush Talk
When you get your braces at OBC, you’ll sit through our quick but helpful “brush talk” – and you’ll also get an awesome electric toothbrush too. We think gadgets are cool and new technology always helps motivate us!
In our brush talk, we will demonstrate proper techniques. Don’t hesitate to ask questions; it’s important that you feel comfortable with your new task when you go home.
Don’t forget to keep up your regular dentist visits and cleanings. Your orthodontic visits do not replace those. It is still important to get your regular check-ups to make sure your teeth are clean and healthy.
A few quick tips:
- Keep your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums
- Be gentle when you move the brush back and use short strokes
- Be sure to brush between the wiring and the teeth
- Make sure that you brush the outer surfaces, inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces
- Brush your teeth thoroughly for at least two to three minutes – after each meal and snack and before bed
- Don’t forget your tongue– brush it to remove bacteria and to keep your breath fresh
Have questions? We’d be happy to answer them – just give us a call!